Gentrification is an ongoing change that is happening in neighborhoods through increase of development, rise of housing, and social change.
Create a digital product that will provide some harm reduction in the impact of gentrification.
Nabohub is an mobile app that strives to connect new neighbors and multi-generational residents to build social ties and develop a sense of community in a neighborhood. The goal is to use digital solution to reinforce "in real life" human interactions.
UX / UI Designer
- Secondary Data Analysis
- Task Analysis
- Low-Fidelity Prototype
- High-Fidelity Prototype
Created a total of 3 surveys: one for new transplant, multi-generational resident, and property owner. Based on the survey findings, there are few engagements in community and neighbor interactions.
Secondary Data Analysis
In 2015, an article was written by a new transplant about her experiences talking to her neighbors as a gentrifier in her neighborhood. She wanted to to bridge the gap between new and older residents by talking with her neighbors—as often and as directly as possible.
1. She noticed she only said hello to certain people who were similar to her social class while unconsciously ignoring other people who were not in the same class.
2. By saying hi to everyone, where few people responded warily, but most warmed up quickly to her. People who she have never spoken to before began smiling and starting brief conversations.
3. Talking directly with people who seem very different isn’t necessarily easy, particularly when complicated race and class differences are thrown into the mix. However, making an effort to get to know neighbors is the most significant way to reduce tension in a gentrifying community.
In order to mitigate gentrification, the first step is to set aside assumptions and talk to neighbors. Today, digital solutions have been replacing human interactions; however, personal interactions is still the key in establishing a bond.
Based on the user research, the following personas were created:
For each persona, I evaluated how they perform their tasks and achieve their intended goals based on their pain points.
Nabohub believes in the concept: a friendly hello can come a long way. New neighbors should be aware of the history and existing social fabric of a gentrifying neighborhood. Multi-generational resident can help welcome new neighbors and include them in neighborhood traditions. Together, they can work together to help neighbors in need and shape the future of their community
During the ideation stage, I came up with possible solutions, such as connecting neighbors based on similar backgrounds by shifting through photos and task application that motivates individuals to be proactive in meeting their neighbors. After listing the pros and con, I decided the main feature for the app is the task application idea. It was the best choice to connect old and new neighbors by enforcing real life human connection.
Sketch was used to wireframe, iterate, and prototype from ideation to final concept design.
Expert Testing Findings
A group of 3 people evaluated my wireframe prototype by using heuristic evaluations. They used Nielsen heuristic guidelines to provide their findings. Below is a summary:
Follows Neimen's Heuristic Guideline
> User control and freedom: Allows user to free
> Flexibility and efficiency of use: QR code allows users
to easily exchange information
> Minimalist design: Interface easy to navigate and use
Violates Neimen's Heuristic Guideline
> Consistency and standards: Unclear what is the main feature
> Recognition than recall: Lack of connection of how to use
the chat feature
> Help and documentation: Lack of detail interactions to
understand user flow
> Match between system and real world: "Contacts" in the
same tab as "Community"
1. Task List: The daily tasks allows users to be persistent in getting to know their neighbors as often and direct as possible.
2. QR Code: Quickly exchange information by scanning the QR code. For individual's who are not on the app, information can be manually enter.
3. Neighbor List: The neighbor's list stores information about neighbors where users can view their neighbor's profile or chat with them.
- Incorporate digital prizes and badges that user's need to unlock to encourage usage and motivation.
- Partner with local stores and restaurants to provide discount code or free incentives for user's prize.